SETTING UP A SITDOWN TABLE
Saturday, April 9, 2016
1) Remember - FOrKS
Place the Fork on the left of the table mat, followed by the plate (O is the round shape of the plate), next to it place the Knives and then the Spoons.
2) The cutlery is always placed according to the ORDER OF USE - Always outside in.
For example : The soup spoon will be placed to the right of the dinner spoon as the soup spoon is to be used before the main dinner.
3) Knife : Always faces inwards at the start of the meal. After using it,it will face outwards.
4) The tines of the fork faces up and the spoon also faces upwards.
5) The napkin goes preferrably to the left of the fork or can be on the plate or in a glass.
6) In a sit down the center piece,whether floral, candles or otherwise should be low inorder to facilate communication.
Whereas in a buffet table different heights add an interesting dimension to the table.
7) Bread can be eaten with the left hand. Therefore it is only convinient to place the bread and butter plate on top left side, with the knife handle facing the right so that it is easier to pick it to apply the butter.
8) Water is our main drink, so it makes sense to put it on the right side above the tip of the knife.
9) The water glass is followed on it's right by the slender champagne glass,then the broader red wine glass and the smaller white wine glass.
10) In a formal setting a wooden tray is preferred for serving and cloth mats are preferred as table mats.
11) The host sits at the head of the table and the main guest sits to his right.
12) It always helps to pre-decide where each person is sitting.
A creative name tag can be placed in front of each plate setting or the family members or close friends can be made aware of the sittings.
Thus the guests can sit gracefully avoiding confusion.
Copyright UINSPIRE 2013.Website by Carapace